Friday, May 17, 2013

Re-inventing the Wheel...

Good morning everyone....

So, for a while now I have been wondering about how functional we are training as sportsmen and what could be done about it.

Let me just make it abundantly clear that I am not doubting any trainer and/or therapist that I have worked with past or present. What I have been thinking of, however, derived from the fact that during my time as a therapist - I have seen to many lower limb injuries happening while nobody was near the guy injuring himself... I have been a massive supporter of the mentality of prehabilitation, instead of rehabilitation and because of this combination I have been searching for something supported by outcome based research - something tried and tested...

Yesterday I joined an institution and someone I regard as one of the better trainers currently in the country and it all started coming together. It turns out that what I have been thinking about, has been implemented into their training for some time now and has actually been around for a while now... You could imagine my relief realising that I haven't been too far off with my thinking.

As a sportsman, we seldom remain on our heels for more than a couple of seconds - in fact I sometimes wonder if you ever end up on your heels at all!!! We are always on our toes, or at least on the front part of our feet... Have you ever tried running on your heels?!?!? And how often do we do something in only one plane or one dimension - no sport I know of is one dimensional....

I've therefor been in search of a multi-dimensional, actively stabilising, explosive way of training for a while now and I think I am in the process of finding this. If you read through this, you will easily see that nothing I have said so far, has the potential of re-inventing the wheel. But, it has confirmed that what I have been searching for has been tried and tested and that it has been backed by some serious mind power for some time now!!

So, this has given me the confidence of incorporating this more and more into rehab, prehab and everyday training - so, lets hope all my questions get the answers I would like...

No comments:

Post a Comment